Monday, July 27, 2009

Tastes Like Hawaii

Of all the tasty dishes we ate out "on the island," my favorite one was an acai bowl.

Well, ok. My favorite non-artery-clogging one was the acai bowl. My real favorite was the pound of buttery peel & eat shrimp washed down with a pineapple coconut smoothie we had at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. Josh Holloway wasn't lying: they were worth the drive to a remote area on the north shore.

I digress. Acai berry is like the new blueberry from what I've heard. We got addicted to the acai bowl at the little coffee shop next to our hotel in Oahu. It was so tasty and cold; basically frozen acai blended with apple juice, served with a sliced banana, honey, and granola in a cute little wooden bowl. It was a smoothie in a bowl. And it was so refreshing on those hot, humid mornings. It also reminds me of the little Italian couple who was always in the coffee shop when we were, drinking cappuccinos and eating pastries for breakfast. How Italian! I wanted to be their friend, but I was shy. I did end up taking their picture at the U.S.S. Arizona memorial, as, ironically, they were there at the same time we were.

Anyway. Acai berries. They have antioxidants or something. They're dark purple. They're tasty. And you can buy them in juice or frozen form in your local grocery store. I've found the juice at Kroger, the frozen stuff I have to get at Harry's, which has an extensive section of organic frozen fruit. I've found that these ingredients:



along with some honey (not pictured) thrown in a blender makes a substantial, absolutely delicious smoothie. I just slurped one down. Yummmmm.

No comments: