Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Perfect Carrots

On Monday, I treated myself to a trip to Harry's Whole Foods in Marietta. I don't know who Harry is but he surely does have a nice little market there on Powers Ferry! Even if you don't live in the greater Atlanta area, you are probably familiar with this store because one of the last remaining good people on Food Network, Alton Brown, frequents Harry's to film for Good Eats. I have this hope, every time I go to Harry's, that I'll run into Alton while I'm there. Well, ok, running into Curtis Stone would be better. Remember that time I met him?
From LBDelicious: Recipes and Rants

*sigh* I digress.

While in Harry's, where I usually go when I want some expensive cheese, really good bread, imported French chocolates, exotic fruits & vegetables, fresh herbs, seafood, or anniversary dinner steak, I happened upon some organic carrots. They looked something like this:


and they were just so dang cute I couldn't resist.

I passed them by twice, and both times, I heard them calling out to me, just begging to be taken home and eaten alongside my roasted chicken (which is another, lengthier post I'm working on). For this one, I didn't use a recipe at all. I just went with what I thought might work. And they were the most delicious and simple carrots I've ever eaten.

Sauteed Carrots
Wash and peel some carrots, and trim off the greens, leaving the tip of the stem. Melt about 4 tablespoons of butter in a large sautee pan (make sure to use a pan that has a lid). Add carrots to the pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover, cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Then, turn carrots so the other side cooks in the butter, cover, and cook for about 5 more minutes.

Tell me they aren't the most delicious, sweet, perfect carrots you've ever had.

No comments: