Saturday, December 6, 2008

Greek Pasta

First, some non-food related stuff.
1. Still in shock that I got tickets to see Elton John and Billy Joel in Atlanta on March 14. Warning: never open two browser windows when trying to purchase tickets via Ticketmaster.com, hoping that at least one of the windows will work out. I lost potentially amazing seats that way today. But. I'm still going to the show. And I didn't get 3rd tier seats! Merry Christmas to me.

2. Bought Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' Christmas album yesterday. Strange and amazing. I'm looking forward to listening to it over and over on my next road trip to Atlanta.
2.b. Speaking of road trips to Atlanta, I'm done with Wendy's as my fast food burger of choice. Last time I got a Wendy's Jr. Bacon with Cheese, it was cold and disgusting. I'm now a Steak & Shake girl: single cheeseburger with mustard, ketchup and pickles, with a chocolate shake. Mmmmm. I can haz Cheezburger?
2.c. Really wish there was a Christo's Dairy Delite or Dub's Burgers in Lexington.

3. Every time I hear "Sleigh Ride," I think of my brother Heath, and how excited he gets when he hears it. Even in July, he'll sometimes look at you and go, "Did you hear that?" and you'll respond with, "hear what?" and he'll respond with "Just hear those sleigh-bells-ringagling!" It was one of the songs we had on an old 45 record full of Christmas music, and we used to listen to it when we were little. I don't know if that's why he likes it so much. But it reminds me of being little at home at Christmas.

4. Snow day in Lexvegas today. It's not much accumulation for Lexington, but more than enough such that if the same amount fell in north Alabama, all the news stations would be talking about "Blizzard 2008" and things would be shut down for a while. Apartment parking lot is covered with snow and icy patches. I wish they at least laid down a layer of salt to help clear the lot. I'm very paranoid driving in an icy, snowy, crowded parking lot. Another reason I severely dislike living at this apartment.

5. Swam 40 laps today, which is about 1.25 miles. Was a little rusty and almost quit near the end, as it's the first time I've swam since before NCA.

6. Came home starving. Made the following for lunch.
Greek Pasta
Put a pot of water on the stove to boil; salt it, add whole wheat rotini, cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
In the meantime, in a sautee pan heat up 1 TB butter and 1/2 TB EVOO. When hot, add some drained, quartered artichoke hearts, a handful of drained/rinsed chickpeas, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Sautee a few minutes over medium. Throw in some chicken stock (and white wine or vodka if you have it; I didn't, unfortunately) and add some drained diced tomatoes and chopped kalamata olives. Simmer over medium until pasta is done. Drain pasta, add the mixture in the saucepan, salt and pepper again, toss in some parmesan cheese, and add a handful of feta cheese. Spoon yourself up a bowlful and enjoy.

7. It's 3 p.m. and I've still not figured out exactly how I want to thematically analyze all these wedding websites. Hm. Oh well. At least I have pasta leftovers and a half pan of brownies for brain food.

8. Go Gators. And War Eagle anyway.

No comments: