Monday, December 8, 2008

End-of-Year Top Ten: Favorite Songs

So, this isn't food related, but I've been lazy lately and not had the energy to seek out new recipes. Instead, let's take a minute to reflect on the year. The end of the year. On my run the other day, I started thinking about what a monumental year it was, so to recap and reflect, I'll be writing a series of "top ten" lists over the next few weeks.

One of my favorite things about the end of every year was the Casey Kasem American Top 40 end of the year countdown. Not only did I enjoy listening to AT40 every single Sunday (and it's why I'm such a good person to have on your trivia team - anyone remember that night I figured out Purple Rain after 1 note at Loco's?), but the end of the year countdown was THE BEST because I got to hear all my favorite songs that had collected over the year, all at once. So, here is a list of my top ten favorite songs this year.

10. Africa - Toto
It's been one of my favorites for a long time (like, since 1984 maybe?) but I've listened to it a lot this year. It never, ever gets old. I can sing all the words. But I am a horrible singer - and basically sound like a dying cow when I try to sing it.
9. Black and Gold (acoustic version) - Sam Sparro
Sam Sparro is a new artist I discovered this year. This particular song is amazing. Not gonna describe it - just listen to it and see what you think. Is he talking about God? Or a woman? Or a man? Who knows. Who cares! It's amazing.
8. Praying for Time - Carrie Underwood
The Carrie version is the only version of this song I like. George Michael tried to sing it on American Idol after Carrie, and he sounded horrible. The song is beautiful, and when Carrie sang it on Idol Gives Back this year, it almost made me cry. So meaningful! And so true! I immediately went to iTunes and downloaded it. If you aren't a fan of Carrie Underwood, then what's wrong with you? She's the reason I can no longer listen to Jessica Simpson. Jessica sounds horrible compared to Carrie.
7. D'yer Maker - Led Zeppelin
Before the XM/Sirius merger, I fell in love with XM46 - Top Tracks. They played a lot of Zeppelin. Therefore, I fell in love with Zeppelin, and a lot of other classic rock songs. This one is my favorite Zeppelin song. Puts me in a good mood.
6. Just Fine - Mary J. Blige
The night before I defended my qualifying exams, I went for a run in the Johnson Center in order to clear my head and make myself feel better about the next day. This song put me at ease. No one quite like Mary J Blige to remind you not to worry about what anyone else thinks about you, keep your head on straight, and love yourself - even the way you look. Thanks Mary J!
5. Gimme More - Britney Spears (Kaskade Remix)
Don't hate me for putting Britney on here. The Kaskade remix of Gimme More is the very best way to start a workout. If this song doesn't make you want to run 6 miles, or dance, then I don't know what will.
4. Don't Stop Believing - Journey
One of my favorite songs of all time. Hearing it live, in person this year was a highlight of my life.
3. Shine - Luther Vandross (Freemasons Remix)
Another of my favorite running songs; this one doesn't get nearly enough airtime on BPM. I keep the extended 7 minute version on my Shuffle at all times, which means I listen to it nearly every time I run. If I'm running my long route, then I usually switch to this song when I get back to Pepperhill Road, to help motivate me to keep running up that one last hill and not stop till I get back home.
2. Sledgehammer - Dave Matthews Band cover, Peter Gabriel original
Best. Cover. Song. Ever. Heard it live this summer. I never realized how much Dave sounds like Peter Gabriel!
1. Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Rose and I went to see Bon Jovi in concert earlier this year, and hearing this song live was an amazing experience. Every single person in the audience sang along. Every time I hear this song, I want to dance. Truly an amazing song, with a powerful message, and a hot singer.

No comments: