Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thai Sweet Potato Soup

I started to blog about this particular soup recipe a whole month ago when I made it for the first time. But, I spaced, and failed, so now I will try to remember exactly what I did that made this particular fall soup so yum-tastic, since I mentioned it on @MissCritta's facebook page yesterday.

Reasons you should make a sweet potato soup: sweet potatoes are, from what I hear, nutritious. In many ways. And they're tasty. And orange. Which, if you're Rose, will be a reason NOT to make the soup, as she has a severe and undying hatred for orange. But if you're an Auburn fan, would count as a huge reason to make the soup.

Thai Sweet Potato Soup

First: prepare a sweet potato. My favorite method is to roast several at once in the oven (400 degrees for about an hour, depending on the oven and size of the potato) as they are simple to prepare, ready to eat, and keep well in the fridge for a day or two. Plus the flavors really develop well with the roasting method. If you don't have an hour to wait, though, I guess you could just peel the potato (a large one or two small ones), dice it, and boil it until fork tender; drain, and mash. But really, you should just roast the thing.

Second: In your favorite soup/stock pot, heat about 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. While that's warming up, dice a white onion (Vidalia if available) and mince some garlic. Add to the heated pot, saute until cooked through with salt and some red pepper flakes. After they've cooked, add in about a tablespoon of tomato paste, some ground/grated ginger, and cinnamon. I probably put some other spices in there, but can't remember if it was (a) cumin, (b) garam masala (I know it's Indian, not Thai, but I do crazy things in the kitchen), (c) cayenne pepper, or (d) chili powder. So, get creative at that point if you feel like it.

After incorporating the other spices and tomato paste, deglaze the pan with about 1/4-1/2 cup white wine (vodka works too). Simmer until liquid is reduced by half; add a can of coconut milk (low fat is fine, but I'm on a full-fat kick lately, and it's soooo goooood), some milk or half & half, chicken stock and the potato. Use your own judgment on how much liquid you want; depends on the day, the potato, and your cooking style/personal taste. Simmer until just heated and the potato is incorporated as well as you can get it, then pour the whole mixture into your food processor or blender and puree. You can also use an immersion blender, but I'm terrified of them, so I don't use mine anymore.

Return to medium heat, correct seasonings (add more salt/pepper/chicken stock/milk/half and half if you want it thinned out) and simmer about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Dave and I adored this soup. I think it's darn tasty and perfect for fall nights.

In other news, non-food-related, I defended my dissertation last Friday (hooray) and am trying to figure out life post-school. It's odd, but enjoyable.

3 comments:

christy said...

Yum! I am going to try this one when I am back to legitimate food again. :)

Carol Bruess said...

LBD,this sounds so good! Also, I had a chess bar for the first time when I was in KY. Delish. I am now obsessed. Have you ever made them?

Grace said...

i meant to tell you how excited i was that you were making yummy thai soup at home!

also... sorry my blog is more of a tear-jerker than a soother. i'll work on a funny-only post!