Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Favorite Cookies So Far

I didn't get to bake anything this holiday season. No goofy balls. No cranberry-orange bars. No puppy chow. Even the chocolate-covered pretzels that I attempted to make failed, probably because I used Kroger brand white-chocolate chips instead of almond bark. So, I've been itching to bake something all Christmas break. Since I'm caught up on interview transcribing, syllabus-mending, and course-prepping, I decided to take a break yesterday to make these little jewels that I nominate as my favorite cookie, possibly ever. I snagged the recipe somewhere off another blog, and adjusted it based on what I had in the kitchen. Here are:

The Best Cookies Ever
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (I used dark, could use light)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
about a teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
some M&M's
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Combine butter and sugar well with a mixer. Add in peanut butter, incorporate well. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl! Add in the flour and baking soda (combine in a separate bowl first) in 3 batches, mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips, M&M's, oats, and pecans. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, cool, and try not to eat them all at one sitting.

I ate 5 yesterday (not counting , and have eaten 3 today. This recipe makes a crap ton of cookies. Chances are, if you see me between now and next Thursday, I'll give you a bag of them because Dave and I can't eat them all. Well, ok, we could eat them all but we probably shouldn't.

Take that, holiday baking dry spell.

No comments: