Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Drunken Strawberry Shortcake


Man, I love HDTV. I am being totally spoiled this week by my techie boyfriend's sweet home theater setup. Where I have a passion for food, he has a passion for cables. Gadgets. New technology. At first, I didn't understand and rejected his assertion that we needed a large flatscreen samsung something or other, but now, as I sit here watching American Idol in high def, I can criticize no more. High def rocks! I really was hooked after Christmas break, because there is very little in life that's better than blu-ray Naveen Andrews.

Very little indeed, except, perhaps, this new dessert I just invented. I served it in martini glasses, and you should too. Here is:

Drunken Strawberry Shortcake
2 slices homemade pound cake (see my previous post; it's amazing)
1 shot Godiva liquor
1/2 cup whipping cream
scant 1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
sliced strawberries (I used 4-5 large ones)
chocolate shavings for garnish (this totally justifies my keeping half-used chocolate bars in the freezer)

First, whip cream with hand mixer until almost at stiff peaks. Add in the powdered sugar, and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the mascarpone cheese, set aside. Wash and slice strawberries. Retrieve martini glasses for serving (or any clear glass will work). Break the pound cake slices in half (or tear them to fit your glass) and soak the pound cake slices in Godiva. Layer the dessert as follows: Godiva-soaked pound cake, whipped cream mixture, strawberries, and repeat for one more layer. Top with chocolate shavings for extra beautiful presentation. Take a spoon and dig in.

This was a remix of the limoncello tiramisu I made last night, that was good, but this was better. Now, don't get me wrong, I love limoncello and homemade lemon curd as much as the next girl, but there is just something sentimental, warm, and comforting about a strawberry shortcake. It was my favorite dessert growing up, and I remember when my mom switched from those nasty cardboard-flavored discs and strawberry glaze with the consistency of motor oil to angel food cake, sugar-coated strawberries and cool whip. I was hooked! My new, grown-up version is classy enough to impress a first date, or just enjoy with your sweetie. Or by yourself. Or while watching Sayid fight his way through the jungle. Whatever. It's really good, and the addition of mascarpone takes it to the next level. It's one of those "worth the splurge" purchases; sometimes you can catch it on sale for $4/half pound, but I usually pay about $5 for the same amount. What do you do with the rest of it? Try not to eat it all by itself with a spoon. Or, make it into a fruit dip with vanilla extract and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.

No comments: